Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Big Picture or Little Picture?

Recently I have been thinking a lot about the difference between being a big picture versus a little picture sort of person. 

Big Picture People
I am a big picture sort of person.  People like me see the world in themes and try not to sweat the small stuff. The greater goal of a project or situation is much more important than the details. I can sort through priorities relatively easy.  I also can complete tasks very quickly. However, there are some negatives to this. 
As my brain races to complete a project, the details get lost. My grammar and spelling have always been subpar.  People accuse me of not proofreading things (which is sometimes true).  My handwriting is horrible.  However I have always found these details silly and unimportant. Isn't the content of my work more important than unimportant details? I consider people who judge others based upon details to be nitpicky and anal. Sometimes I just want to shake them and say- does it really matter???  

Little Picture People
Little picture people value details. They value perfection in their tasks and will proofread something to death. They find imperfection in the details distracting and it prevents them from taking someone seriously. I've noticed that in internet forums where there is a disagreement, instead of addressing the content of their opponents view, they attack their grammar and discredit them (I do not like this). 

What does this mean?
It means that people are different. God has given us different strengths. It is like what Paul describes in Corinthians, we are all parts of the body with different functions and strengths.  A big picture person may neglect important details. A little picture person may  get so caught up in details, they lose focus on what's really important. I think we need to work together.  And remember that just because someone views the picture differently than you, it does not mean that they are lazy or nitpicky.  It means that we all have our strengths and that we need each other.

p.s. I make a point not to proofread my blog, because I hate it. I just want to get my ideas out.  So everything is a first draft ;) 

2 comments:

  1. I so agree, I'm a big picture just like you but am married to a detail person so it all works out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am married to Anonymous above. (Jim, is that you?) I believe big-picture folks survive and excel because we little-picture folks clean up after them!

    Seriously, we need both sorts. Too much of either end of the spectrum spells ugly. We need all flavors.

    Love, Mom
    P.S. My darling, how ever did I give birth to such a different creature than myself? : )

    ReplyDelete